[hfsig] Re: [Flexradio] The final nail in the coffin of Morse ?

Trevor AKA m5aka at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 15:39:09 EDT 2005

Regarding new data modes I am not clear what relevance the geographic area that
the originator of a mode happened to live in has got to do with anything.

The key thing is that the Amateurs in each country seek to get the most
flexiable terms possible from their local regulator.

The UK is fortunate in having no bandwidth restrictions on HF, we could in
theory run 100 kHz B/W if we wanted to. In reality practical bandwidths on HF
are governed by the bandwidth of the SSB filters provided in transceivers.
Currently raw data rates as high as 25 kbps can be squeezed into an SSB
channel; although it gets ripped to shreds by skywave reflections and a raw
rate of 12 kbps is more realistic.

It seems to me that a prime use for high data rates would be video
transmission. Full Motion Video with sound can done in a data rate of around 33
kbps (very small picture slow frame rate but usable). This should be achievable
in a 7.5 kHz B/W and something as exciting as Video transmission probably would
encourage Amateurs to have a wide band filter fitted in their rigs. Signals
this wide would be feasable on the 75 metre and 10 metre bands.

73 Trevor M5AKA