[hfsig] Re: [Flexradio] The final nail in the coffin of Morse?

jeff at aerodata.net jeff at aerodata.net
Sat Jul 23 13:58:09 EDT 2005

You missed my point entirely. I'm saying, you could do that now legally.
The ARRL is trying to take that freedom (and responsibility) away.

But are you abusing this freedom? Are rabid "CB good buddy" digital
operators raping the bands with 9khz signals?

In the former, your clearly not, in the later, even though I have
repeatedly asked ARRL officials, they have yet to produce a SINGLE case of
abuse from digital operators using excessive bandwidths.

We now have something called "good amateur practice" which gives us enough
room to experiment, yet can (and does) limit deviant behavior on the
bands.

My point, why fix something that is not broke? And more chilling, why the
need to involve goverment?  (in more regulations).

To steal a qoute from an ARRL staffer (not an elected ARRL official):

"If I had my personal druthers, the Part 97 rules would be really simple.
They would say, "These are your band edges. These are your power limits.
Stay within them."

And I totally agree that should be how the codified regulations read. That
much being said, I would be entirely open to bandplans that limit
bandwidths, be they 9khz or 20khz.

You just don't want to paint yourself in a regulatory corner as the ARRL
proposal does.