[hfsig] Re: [Flexradio] The final nail in the coffin of Morse ?

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Sat Jul 23 02:44:50 EDT 2005

Bob,

I have to agree with Jeff.  I don't think the Board's intent was for anything
but legacy AM voice having 9 KHz bandwidth...certainly not data...especially not
data.

I believe that when the actual proposal is published, it will specifically allow
only legacy AM voice to have 9 KHz bandwidth and all other modes must be not
more than 3.5 KHz wide.

The problem is "...Since OFDM - fade designed trellis QAM seems like AM to me
anyway."  If the Board doesn't see it that way and sees that 9 KHz bandwidth
only applies to a legacy AM voice transmission, then you are stuck with 3.5 KHz
bandwidth.

I hate like heck to throw cold water on you notion; but, I'm afraid that the
Board didn't intend for the a 9 KHz bandwidth signal to be anything but legacy
AM voice and their proposal will have the exemption specifically for legacy AM
voice and thus all other modes are stuck to 3.5 KHz bandwidth.

Specifically, the ARRL prosal will follow this thought process...

	"The regulation-by-bandwidth issue dominated the Board's second meeting
	of the year in Windsor, Connecticut. After a great deal of give and take
	among its members, the Board ultimately okayed raising the maximum
	bandwidth the EC had proposed for frequencies below 29 MHz from 3.0 kHz
	to 3.5 kHz. A provision permitting the continued use of double-sideband
	AM with bandwidth of up to 9 kHz was retained."

	"Significantly, the Board also agreed that maximum permitted bandwidth
	should be defined in terms of necessary rather than occupied bandwidth.
	In addition, the modified proposal removes the exception for independent
	sideband (ISB) emissions--apparently not used in the Amateur Service--
	and drops certain mode restrictions on Novice and Technician class
	operators."

	"The ARRL proposal would leave two important FCC rules unchanged.
	§97.307(a) says: "No amateur station transmission shall occupy more
	bandwidth than necessary for the information rate and emission type
	being transmitted, in accordance with good amateur practice." §97.101(a)
	reads: "In all respects not specifically covered by FCC Rules each
	amateur station must be operated in accordance with good engineering and
	good amateur practice."

So what then?  On the one hand the Board says the bandwidth will be no more than
3.5 KHz except AM which can be 9 KHz wide and then says that no transmission
shall occupy mode bandwidth than necessary for the information rate and emmision
type being transmitted.

So is OFDM a transmission type?  What does "No amateur station transmission
shall occupy more bandwidth than necessary for the information rate and emission
type being transmitted" really mean?  Ok so perhaps this is the outlet.

So if my OFDM data transmission required 15 KHz to transmit 50 Kbps, is that OK?

IMHO the only thing to do is to start now and write our own proposal to the FCC
in a technical yet easily to understand format.  A real challange...technical
yet easily to understand.

We are going to have to "one up" the ARRL so than any proposal they present will
seem like (because it will be) a proposal that doesn't advance technology and
the state of the communications art, rather one (ours) that promotes
experimentation in the advancement of the communications art.

The case must be clearly made that in data communications that increased
throughput and robustness will require bandwidth wider than 3.5 KHz and it will
be necessary to define high-speed and robustness as well as show, through the
use of live (on-the-air) demonstrations or computer modeling/channel simulation
the superiouity of any new mode or types of modes.

My greatest fear in all this is that it will NOT foster further development or
the need for SDRs.  If this is true (with the passage of this sort of
restrictive bandwidth as the League is proposing), then we can show that the
League's proposal is NOT advancing the state of the art, rather preventing
experimentation and advancement of the state of the communications art.

On 23 Jul 2005 at 12:46 AMBob wrote:
 >I don't think 9 Khz would be widely tolerated without a specific say so.  I am
 >not talking about theoretical legal limits.   I could put a 200 Khz wide
signal >on 20 meters in a few seconds by reaching over and turning on my FSK
 >transmitter on my Gnu Radio USRP and it is likely no one would even know I was
 >there.  I am talking about "officially sanctioned" or blessed operations of
the >type (say) Walt could take and put into ARES, RACES, FEMA, etc. sites.

And yes, the proposal needs to be a recognized mode that we can present to and
to be used by ARES, Red Cross, FEMA, etc.

I believe that this will take the concerted effort on many individuals part to >
make a bandwidth proposal to the FCC.

73,

Walt/K5YFW