[hfsig] Re: [Flexradio] The final nail in the coffin of Morse?

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 09:45:17 EDT 2005

I think coupled with the promotion of Morse in the most popular
activities (2 pts for CW QSO's at FD vice 1 for SSB) and similar
"marketing tools" will continue to enable Morse a significant presence
for the foreseeable future.  It is still my contention, that due to
human nature,  it will wither on the vine.  Over time, this SIG (amateur
radio)  will have a small sub-SIG called Morse operators.   Coupled with
the "bandwidth-based" proposals we are seeing  from the League will
definitely impact the future.  Whether it is in time or not,  I do not
know.  Certainly the current demographics trends need to be turned
around and even the FCC acknowledges that explicitly in this NPRM.  It
will be hard to have a viable hobby if 80% of the people doing it are 65
and older.  As a mathematician, I do not believe in straight line
prognositication, but I also do not ignore what to all of us is a
troubling trend.   I think this experiment in change has met with
qualified success in Europe.  I pray it does here but is an unqualified
success.

Bob
N4HY