[hfsig] Re: [Flexradio] The final nail in the coffin of Morse ?

DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA Walt.DuBose at RANDOLPH.AF.MIL
Fri Jul 22 09:59:18 EDT 2005

First, the NPRM was not strictly an ARRL proposal, in fact, it didn't appear
to me to be the major proposal or proposal that the FCC used to draft the
NPRM.

Ok Bob, we know your views on CW, which are similar to my feelings, but what
about the Board's decision to limit HF bandwidth to 3.5 KHz with a 9 KHz
exemption for AM?  Don't we need wider bandwidths for high-speed, robust
data modes?  Isn't the bandwidth limitation going to be a greater factor in
hingering the growth of amateur radio than the Morse Code issue?

Walt/K5YFW

-----Original Message-----
From: hfsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:hfsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Robert McGwier
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 8:45 AM
To: TAPR HF Modes SIG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [hfsig] Re: [Flexradio] The final nail in the coffin of
Morse?

I think coupled with the promotion of Morse in the most popular
activities (2 pts for CW QSO's at FD vice 1 for SSB) and similar
"marketing tools" will continue to enable Morse a significant presence
for the foreseeable future.  It is still my contention, that due to
human nature,  it will wither on the vine.  Over time, this SIG (amateur
radio)  will have a small sub-SIG called Morse operators.   Coupled with
the "bandwidth-based" proposals we are seeing  from the League will
definitely impact the future.  Whether it is in time or not,  I do not
know.  Certainly the current demographics trends need to be turned
around and even the FCC acknowledges that explicitly in this NPRM.  It
will be hard to have a viable hobby if 80% of the people doing it are 65
and older.  As a mathematician, I do not believe in straight line
prognositication, but I also do not ignore what to all of us is a
troubling trend.   I think this experiment in change has met with
qualified success in Europe.  I pray it does here but is an unqualified
success.

Bob
N4HY