[hfsig] Performance of 24/192 soundcards?

Tom McDermott tom.mcdermott4 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 18 15:44:01 EDT 2004

Hi George,

	I've used the RMAA 5.1 program, very cool software! Thanks for the
pointer to the 5.4 version, I've downloaded it and rerun tests on my
soundcards (one good, one pathetic).

	The issue is not testing, but selecting and purchasing.  Extensive
google-ing leads to mostly comments about the frequency response being that
20-20k response is pretty flat, or it's "very good" , etc., but these are
not helpful descriptors of frequency response. A few sites list the 96k
sampling cards as having frequency reponse from 20 Hz to 46 KHz (but with
bad peaking at 50 KHz). Nothing about the response of 192ks/s sound cards.
The Creative site does not specify frequency response for their products,
and I can't find anything useful.

	The idea is that if the high-performance soundcards had good
response out to half of 192k, or say 80+ KHz, then they could be very useful
as I.F. receivers/senders for digital radios and for other test-equipment
applications.

	-- Tom, N5EG