[aprssig] Why do we not use APRS 9600?

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 17:04:15 EST 2022

The simple answer is "It doesn't really buy us anything, and it
decreases the range of the transmission."
The majority of on-air time for a TNC/Radio combination is taken up
waiting for the radio to key up and reach full transmit power. This is
the "txdelay" setting on your TNC, and is generally tuned to your
radio.  It defines the time between when the hardware closes the PTT
button and begins to actually send modulated audio.  Typical values
range from 150-400 milliseconds. Regardless of the data rate, this
txdelay is constant.  The actual data transmission is generally a
fraction of the time we spend just waiting for the radio to key up.

So, even though you;'re sending data ~4x faster, you're still waiting
for the radio to key up, and the channel is useless while that's
happening.  If it takes 250ms to transmit at 1200bps, and you've got
250ms of txdelay, you're tying up the channel for ~500ms.  At 9600bps,
you're on air for ~340ms.  Also, bandwidth and distance are roughly
inverse:  quadruple the data rate, cut your transmission distance by 4x.

In the end, it's generally not worth it.

John Gorkos
AB0OO