[aprssig] Why do we not use APRS 9600?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Feb 16 17:13:24 EST 2022

If you were going to build a whole new system from scratch and set some
minimum requirements, 9600 baud would be a good idea.

Several years ago I built a batch of magnetic mount trackers for
ambulances and support vehicles at Burning Man. We had two dozen 9600
baud trackers on a single channel with a network cycle time of 6
seconds, and each tracker transmitted every position packet twice for a
total of 8 packets per second. They were all received by a single
TM-D710. The transmitters were half-watt modules on the 70cm band and I
think they were maybe $20 each. They worked well and we could track
ambulances until they disappeared into the hills about 15 miles away on
their way to Reno.

Higher power radios tend to not have such a fast TXD though.

Scott
N1VG