[aprssig] A Proposal for the Continuation of APRS

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Feb 14 17:50:15 EST 2022

On 2/14/2022 12:55 PM, Andrew Pavlin via aprssig wrote:
> You can't practically run both protocols on the same RF channel
> because it wastes channel bandwidth on signals some (single-protocol)
> stations can't understand. We have enough problems with collisions and
> hidden transmitters without making it worse with doubled transmissions
> from the same stations. Plus, there are some digipeaters that can't
> handle two AX.25 frames back-to-back (i.e., one APRS, one OpenTRAC).

I disagree. The added on-air time isn't nearly as bad as a doubling
since the modem is already locked and everything. Yes, some digipeaters
might not handle it, but you can put the OpenTRAC packet second if
that's not your primary protocol and you'll only lose the less important
one, and you can work on modernizing the network as you go.

Scott
N1VG