[aprssig] A Proposal for the Continuation of APRS

Andrew Pavlin spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 15:55:02 EST 2022

 You can't practically run both protocols on the same RF channel because it wastes channel bandwidth on signals some (single-protocol) stations can't understand. We have enough problems with collisions and hidden transmitters without making it worse with doubled transmissions from the same stations. Plus, there are some digipeaters that can't handle two AX.25 frames back-to-back (i.e., one APRS, one OpenTRAC).
An alternate frequency would be much better, so the stations that understand a particular protocol tune to that frequency (just like we don't do APRS on the Winlink or PBBS frequencies). Merging is a problem, because if you're going to have a translating digipeater, that doubles the traffic on the output side from all the dual-protocol stations. And it would be quite difficult to write a good OpenTRAC<->APRS translator, because some single OpenTRAC packets map into multiple APRS packets, and not cleanly (for example, how is an OpenTRAC sub-entity represented in APRS? how are APRS Telemetry packets mapped into OpenTRAC entity values when there is no fixed meaning of APRS telemetry fields?). I know this, because my YAAC program speaks and receives both protocols, and has a tough time coming up with consistent data display to end-users, and that's just doing the merge at the presentation layer, rather than translating and re-transmitting.

And promoting OpenTRAC still doesn't deal with the existing hardware base of APRS-only devices (ex.: Kenwood D700's don't do OpenTRAC natively). For that matter, do all the existing digipeaters behave correctly when asked to digipeat an OpenTRAC packet (using APRS-standard New-N digipeat aliases)?
And no one has written an OpenTRAC I-gate yet.
Interesting ideas for a future or parallel project, but it doesn't work with APRS As She Is Written.
Andrew, KA2DDOauthor of YAAC

    On Monday, February 14, 2022, 03:29:42 PM EST, Jason Rausch <jason at ke4nyv.com> wrote:

 >> What makes more sense is to look at replacing APRS with OpenTrac.
I absolutely support this and have thought this was the way to go for years.  I know people are worried about backwards compatibility support.  Can we viably run dual protocol on the same channel as people migrate over?  With the exception of Scott's example of the balloon running OpenTrac and choking some server code, I haven't seen a good example of why we couldn't.  Maybe we propose an alternate frequency, such as 144.790 for OpenTrac and then merge the data together at the digipeater level.  Dual port TNC, dual radios.
Remi VE2YAG and I are dusting off some tracker/digipeater hardware designs based on the ESP32.  I'm sure we could look into the idea of creating a dual port version to support something like this.
Just a thought.
Jason Rauschwww.ke4nyv.com