[aprssig] WB4APR SK

Brian Webster info at wirelessmapping.com
Wed Feb 9 15:56:18 EST 2022

Steve,
	I have been around APRS that long. I remember very well how much
work you put in to things like Findu.com. I remember very well the start of
the internet servers and the IS stream. The growing pains and features added
like the filtered feed. I started back in APRS DOS days when there was no
national frequency or digi's/infrastructure. We did things like put the digi
location coordinates in toe the beacon text. Those crude old DOS maps and
all. Loved it then and still love APRS now. Things are different now for
sure. Features or ground breaking new things maybe aren't as dramatic
agreed, but I still don't think it's dying. It's just different. Maybe the
features and such aren't as dramatic these days because what you and other
like Bob did, you got right. Can we do more? For sure! Should we abandon it
or say it should die a natural death because it hasn't gone the way we might
have expected? No. Can it get reinvigorated? I don't see why not. Hell there
is a huge worldwide infrastructure already in place.

So ARDC might not be the proper vehicle to lead this but as said it is
possible for them to fund a properly submitted effort. TAPR or others might
be a good choice just so that any work would not have to be focused on the
tax/non-profit status, the work of APRS could be the focus. I recently have
expanded what were my traditional lists and information sources for ham
radio. Because of those changes, I am seeing new efforts and vigor by other
groups and mailing lists that cause me to believe the energy and people are
there to do this. If we do nothing and say it's not going to work, well then
eventually that is what will happen. If we believe it can continue then it
will.

Thank you,
Brian N2KGC