[aprssig] WB4APR SK

carcarx at gmail.com carcarx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 15:01:40 EST 2022

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 8:56 AM Brian Webster <info at wirelessmapping.com>
wrote:

> I work in the commercial wireless world, when I show the things we have
> done
> with APRS on the backs of volunteers, they just stare with an open jaw.
> Working in the filed for 32 years I have seen so many companies try and
> fail
> to accomplish what has been done using APRS. Even using things like the
> cellular network nothing has come close. There is a system that the Navy
> uses that is very similar for their tactical mapping and asset management
> in
> real time. Do you want to guess who taught navigation at The US Naval
> academy and helped develop that system....yup WB4APR, a true visionary.
>
> With the military developing wireless mesh networks in the last decade,
now integrating location information for "battlespace management",
and commercial entities trying to capitalize on "Common Operating Picture"
systems for public safety/emergency management,
hams need to realize that APRS has had this from the beginning!

Add one-to-many digital messaging integrated within self-contained
platforms (HTs and mobiles) makes me appreciative of the rich
possibilities APRS offers!

Craig/KH6CP