[aprssig] Consecutive Packet Send

Eric H. Christensen eric at aehe.us
Wed Sep 22 19:01:20 EDT 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, September 20th, 2021 at 1:07 PM, Randy Love <rlove31 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The burst method may not be compatible with local digipeaters... or some TNC's even.
>
> Some digipeaters transmit the split second they see an end-of-packet indicator under the assumption that the tx is done since the packet is completed. That would cause the digipeater to collide with the rest of your long packet that you are sending as a burst.
>
> This is done on purpose to induce the packet fratricide that is necessary for peak performance of APRS digipeating. (i.e. the digipeater will only be colliding with other digipeaters transmitting the same packet )

So I understand this *but*...

...here's what I'm seeing in practice.  My i-gate sends out weather alerts for my local area to a path of WIDE2-1.  I just watched a thunderstorm warning go out that contained three packets.  These three packets went out with only slight breaks in between, hardly any time for the digipeater to retransmit before the next packet came out leading to a collision.  I've seen similar results when transmitting messages and telemetry parameters, too, meaning that at least half of the packets are being wasted and delayed.

--Eric WG3K