[aprssig] Emergency power from your EV/Hybrid

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Tue Sep 7 11:02:20 EDT 2021

Op 07-09-2021 om 16:39 schreef Rick Green:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2021, Andre wrote:
>
>> Why not use a offgrid PV inverter?, there are a lot of those
>> available and they can handle up to 800 V or in some cases even more.
>
>  Actually, No.  The offgrid inverters are generally designed for 46V
> DC input. The HV DC inverters on the market are mostly grid tie/
> utility power synchronous only.  I have not found one with a local
> clock source that will start and run without AC already present.
>   There have been some experiments using a small UPS to power a 'nano
> grid' and fool the grid-tie inverter into starting.  See Bob's website
> for links. I would suspect this arrangement to have some voltage
> regulation stability issues, The larger grid presents a very low
> impedance load, which does not vary radically when a single device
> starts up.  With your home 'microgrid', the load can instantly double
> when your deepfreezer needs to start.
>   It wqs mentioned in another post that the EVs on the market have
> 100-200amp DC-DC converters to maintain the 12v battery and
> accessories. So you could use a 1.0 to 2kW  'trucker' inverter for
> essential loads only.   Are there any 200-350VDC to 48VDC  DC-DC
> converters on the market, capable of supplying ~250amps for a ~10kw
> off-grid inverter?

I was thinking of systems like this:
https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters/inverter-rs-smart-solar

it combines a solar charge controller and an offgrid inverter, it might
need a buffer battery because it is designed to have that as a backup.

They also seem to have versions with build in buffer batteries.

73 Andre PE1RDW