[aprssig] Emergency power from your EV/Hybrid

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Sep 7 10:39:11 EDT 2021

On Tue, 7 Sep 2021, Andre wrote:

> Why not use a offgrid PV inverter?, there are a lot of those available and
> they can handle up to 800 V or in some cases even more.

  Actually, No.  The offgrid inverters are generally designed for 46V DC input.
The HV DC inverters on the market are mostly grid tie/ utility power synchronous
only.  I have not found one with a local clock source that will start and run
without AC already present.
   There have been some experiments using a small UPS to power a 'nano grid' and
fool the grid-tie inverter into starting.  See Bob's website for links.
I would suspect this arrangement to have some voltage regulation stability
issues, The larger grid presents a very low impedance load, which does not vary
radically when a single device starts up.  With your home 'microgrid', the load
can instantly double when your deepfreezer needs to start.
   It wqs mentioned in another post that the EVs on the market have 100-200amp
DC-DC converters to maintain the 12v battery and accessories. So you could use a
1.0 to 2kW  'trucker' inverter for essential loads only.   Are there any
200-350VDC to 48VDC  DC-DC converters on the market, capable of supplying
~250amps for a ~10kw off-grid inverter?

--
Rick Green

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

 			http://www.MoveToAmend.org