[aprssig] DC Power Pole to USB for Pi 4 computers

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 21:38:30 EDT 2021

Pis are notoriously picky about power. Anything advertised to charge a phone is suspect.

I tried some cheap RC BEC supplies, pi 3 didn’t like them. A hefty model (10A or 20 A is what it claims) caused the pi to complain regularly.

I have used this one

https://www.pololu.com/product/2851

on a pi zero W that’s also powering an RTL-SDR with no problems. Haven’t had a chance to try in on anything larger than the zero W yet.  The holes allow it to mount to a standard 2 pin header to a pi prototyping hat; the Powerpole is on a pigtail ok my prototype. I plan to do a PCB that includes the through-hole Powerpole one of these days.

Some prototyping hats (I’m looking at you adafruit) have extremely wimpy power traces. I piggybacked an additional wire to the +5 and ground pins to eliminate that problem.

For any pi boards with components that are too tall to stack, a quick and easy hack is to just stick a second stacking header on there to jack up the top board and allow more clearance.

-Jason
kg4wsv