[aprssig] Options for robust digipeaters

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Feb 9 18:42:30 EST 2021

> Tracker4 - Had good experiences in the past with Argent data stuff (most of our vehicle-based tracking systems are the original OT1). Not kept up with the T4, looks interesting but no iGate so the WX3in1 would win there.

The T4 does function as a standalone IGate. The biggest issue with it at
the moment is that there's some kind of bug in the Silicon Labs WiFi
module that causes it to periodically drop the connection, but only with
*certain* access points - including the old Linksys here in the lab. The
period is usually on the order of several hours, and is always an
integer multiple of (I think) 10 minutes. So if you've got an AP it
doesn't like, you'll see the connection periodically drop and then it'll
automatically reconnect and connect to the APRS IS again, but it'll miss
traffic for 10-20 seconds in the meantime.

It's mostly just a nuisance. Unfortunately it's something I can't fix
from my side, and SiLabs was not terribly responsive *before* the
pandemic. I'm not holding out a lot of hope that it'll be resolved soon.

We're also understaffed here thanks largely to Covid, and repeaters are
selling way better than trackers these days so what development time I
can manage has mostly been focused there. The new repeater controller
and the T4 share much of the same code base, though, so work on one
often spills over to the other.

For the next iteration of the repeater design I'm ditching the SiLabs
WiFi module and going with a wired Ethernet interface with the protocol
stack resident in the dual-core host MCU. No more being reliant on a
black box that's been virtually abandoned by the manufacturer. It'll
also have a GPS port on it, which will effectively make it a superset of
the T4.

I'm not sure what I even want to call that device at this point - it's
been the ADS-SR2 repeater so far, but it's more of a Swiss Army knife,
with simplex, cross-band, and duplex repeater functions, EchoLink
gateway, sound card interfaces, and various other feature modules that
you configure through a browser-based block diagram interface, sort of
like Labview. That part is finally coming together and I'm really
pleased with how it's working out. If anyone can think of a good name
for it, I'll send you a freebie when it's in production! ;)

Scott
N1VG