[aprssig] CWOP packet formatting requirements

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 19:05:25 EDT 2021

Probably a question for Steve only, but I'll pose it to the larger group.

I'm reworking a bunch of JavAPRSLib decoder code, and I'm particularly
looking at weather parser code.  I'm looking specifically at CWOP data
right now, and I'm seeing stations with malformed packets coming
through.  Here's an example:

DW3637>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-7:@122247z42.1N/72.6W_257/000g004t073r011p011h91b10135.wview_5_20_2

According to the APRS spec, this is a malformed packet because lat/long
should be 2.2X/3.2Y (i.e. this one should be 42.10N/072.60W.

My question is, do stations submitting data to CWOP required to adhere
to the APRS protocol spec for packet formatting, or do we not care
because it never goes "over the air"?  Would I be out of line submitting
a bug request to the wview folks asking that the format their packets
"properly" according the Spec?

Thanks!

de AB0OO
John Gorkos