[aprssig] Wronlgy formatted IGate packets

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Aug 12 17:22:06 EDT 2021

Some IGATE TNC's and/or software appear to not following the
TAPR-2 standard for identifying digipeated packets.  Only the last* DIGI
used should be marked with a * and not all prior digis.  But several
IGATES are violating this by marking all prior digipeaters with a *.

KJ4NWQ-6 for example:
KE4AZZ>APS224,PSAT2*,APRSAT*,qAR,KJ4NWQ-6:=2702.06N/08209.93W`

and KG4PID-12
KE4AZZ>APS224,PSAT2*,APRSAT*,WIDE,qAR,KG4PID-12:=2702.06N/08209.93W`

This makes it impossible to identify double-hop packets because
it masks the proper callsign-insertion or callsign-substitution of
an earlier properly digipeated packet for packet tracing.

Can we collectively identify these bad actors so we know what Igates
to ignore or possibly what software to fix?

Or am I in a chemo fog?.

First we identify the bad formats and then we can use the TOCALL
of those stations to see what software they are running.

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR