[aprssig] What is APRS, really?

R Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Fri Oct 23 17:38:12 EDT 2020

carcarx at gmail.com wrote:

You are lucky in that you've never had to consider a devastating weather event   Well now... Let me tell you a couple of sea stories... (=; Oh, never mind
In Puerto Rico, after Hurricane Maria, one of the most prized information assett was a map of passable and impassable roads. It was gathered by hams.   Don't conflate APRS with conventional ham radio which performed well. APRS was a non-factor Here in Hawaii we demonstrated how APRS could quickly pinpoint such problems by usingHTs, some with integrated APRS and others without... Was that a drill? A hurricane hasn't hit Oahu in 20 years. And that was an oddity
...The DoD is even getting into APRS-similar portable services for battlefield management.

   Time flies when you're having fun. DOD (Navy) is not getting, but GOT into that business over half a century ago. The Navy Tactical Data System (NTDS) was a pioneering unconnected data sharing system. I believe Bob Bruninga was involved. My suspicion is that NTDS was the germ for the idea of APRS. (Bob?).