[aprssig] What is APRS, really?

carcarx at gmail.com carcarx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 11:41:32 EDT 2020

You are lucky in that you've never had to consider a devastating weather
event.
In Puerto Rico, after Hurricane Maria, one of the most prized information
assett was a map of passable and impassable roads.
It was gathered by hams. Here in Hawaii we demonstrated how APRS could
quickly pinpoint such problems by using
HTs, some with integrated APRS and others without. Those without would just
need a $6 do-it-yourself audio cable, or $21 pre-made.
Throw in free text messaging, to boot!

Amateur radio was the ONLY communications post-Maria in Puerto Rico for 6
WEEKS!

The DoD is even getting into APRS-similar portable services for battlefield
management.
Craig/KH6CP