[aprssig] Satellite notification based on Mic-E status

Frank Krizan frank at krizan.org
Sat Nov 21 23:47:13 EST 2020

Hi Lynn and Eric,

What Eric may have been thinking of is/was ASTARS (http://www.aprs.org/astars.html <http://www.aprs.org/astars.html> .  It utilized a team of 'local' stations which ran predictions for APRS based satellites and transmitted a message with predictions for the next hour to hour and a half, or so.  It was a very handy feature when you were in the field and didn't have a computer handy -- and this was pre-smartphone.

It could still be a great function for backpackers who might find themselves with a dead cellphone, assuming their APRS HT still had power.

73, Frank KR1ZAN
Plano, TX