[aprssig] Leonids Meteor Shower APRS protocol

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 12 18:03:01 EST 2020

To clarify exactly what a high power TX station needs to send is say 30
copies of the APRS grid format in a single burst  IE send this to the TNC
every minute:

>GG##gg<CR>
>GG##gg<CR>
>GG##gg<CR>
>GG##gg<CR>
>GG##gg<CR>
>GG##gg<CR>

 The TNC will concatenate probably seven to ten of these at a timel into
dense packets with only a single TX delay, not 30 delays.

The TNC has UNPROTO set to simply "APRS" no path! And set to CONVErSE..

Adjust the number (30?) till the TX burst lasts 15 seconds each minute.
The result is a complete grid in only 200 milliseconds each.  Hopefully
short enough so that occasionally one will get bounced somewhere by the
extremely short meteor path bursts at VHF.

Point beam to a high ham population density at least 600 miles away.
Vertical or Horizontal will work.

This  will take special software for the 15  TX stations.  (METEOR-1
through METEOR-15)

RX stations need nothing special.  Any APRS software should capture and
decode and plot a grid report if received overnight.  All of this on the
national channel 144.39 from midniight to 6 AM local time

Here is the report form 1998 event
 http://aprs.org/APRS-docs/LEONIDS.TXT

Bob WB4APR