[aprssig] Dual-use on APRS A/D channels

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 7 16:44:36 EDT 2020

Good points.  But if you look at the raw telemetry plot:
http://www1.findu.com/cgi-bin/tele1.cgi?call=psat3,psat3-1&last=36&param=2&b=1&c=0&label=Current&units=Milliamps&autorange=1

It can be seen that there are two narrow ranges of values that are widely
separated.   So, if one "sees-through" the transitions between the two, they
can still see the two separate trends of values.

I guess this is a rare need and a solution to such a rare need, but making
it a generalized capability in APRS would probably not be practical.  But it
could be possible to include a threshold value say d=+500 parameter to the
EQNS transmission that would indicate this equation applies only to values
above 500 and a d=-500 would indicate the equation applies to only those
counts below the threshold.

I'm not suggesting it become part of the spec, but suggesting that if
someone needed to get just one more (or a few more) channels within the
existing structure, they could use this trick.?

Bob