[aprssig] Escaping \r\n in packets for APRS-IS

Iain R. Learmonth irl at hambsd.org
Fri May 8 08:04:22 EDT 2020

Hi,

I recently noticed that my Yaesu VX-8DE has been appending a 0x0d
(carriage return) to the end of packets it sends.

When I upload these packets to APRS-IS the 0x0d gets stripped because
the server software is interpreting that as the end of line. aprsc will
take \r, \n or \r\n quite happily and in this case it's getting \r\r\n
at the end of the line.

Was there ever a system to escape the \r and \n characters where they
appear in the information field? Should IGates drop these, or is
truncation the correct thing to do?

Thanks,
Iain MM0ROR.

--