[aprssig] Dual-use on APRS A/D channels

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Thu May 7 15:58:27 EDT 2020

Ok, that's a cool hack for a web-based display service, but how is that
communicated to lowly APRS client applications that receive the
telemetry and (hopefully) the specified parameter definitions?  Such
APRS-using, telemetry-observing applications would have absolutely no
indication that the 2nd value of the 5 actually has dual definitions
depending on some knowledge (the "pivot" value of 500 coded into the URL
in this case) that is completely outside the communications bandwidth
from the station.  Not to mention the fact that different a, b, and c
parameters should be applied depending on that very unknown value.

So this doesn't so much provide for a generic dual-use of APRS telemetry
channels, but allows for an end-user customized view of APRS telemetry
using out-of-band knowledge which can be communicated to a custom
telemetry viewer at findu.com.

Or is there something I missed in Bob's description and example?  Like
maybe a new telemetry definitions packet that describes the ranges and
alternate equations to use?