[aprssig] Fast SSTV for on-air presentations

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 4 12:45:50 EDT 2020

The local radio club wants to move to on-line technical talks but got
bogged down in arguments over teleconferingin  protocols and security..

I's like to transmit my presentation as SSTV FAST mode (13 seconds per
slide) and give the talk on the local repeater.  The FAST FM mode premiered
in the (decades ahead of its time) Kenwood VC-H1 And generally has to
connect to the modulator and discriminator and not the voice circuits.

Has anyone used FAST FM mode for SSTV?  Can it be received by most folks
without having to get to the discriminator for receive?

I'm thinking of transmitting the image on the UHFrepeater and the "talk" on
the VHF colocated club repeater.

This would be a great way to do ham club meetings duging COVID, bad
weather, etc.

 In fact a great end-use software could be developed so that at the
prescribed time, the entire Power Point presentation could be transmitted
continuously, and be assembled on receipt and then Viewed at the presenters
speed.  This would not introduce 13 second per slide delays, but could in
fact, send the entire 50 slide PPT presentation in 10 minutes prior to the
scheduled talk.

And for near real time, the slide transmission need only begin say 1 minute
early and still be able to remain ahead of the presentation speed.

Ham Radio should have this toolbox!  (probably already does and i missed it)

The most important thing is that the images should be able to be received
by almsot any radio and any SSTV software on hand... thought not the
advanced features.

Comments and experiences welcome...
Bob, WB4aPR