[aprssig] Hello!

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue May 5 11:55:48 EDT 2020

My philosophy is that you shouldn't try to 'correct' any received
packets - you can filter them or give warnings about parse errors (like
aprs.fi does), but don't try to reinterpret them. Don't enable bad
behavior on the sending end, and more importantly don't ever introduce
the possibility of modified packets getting into the APRS-IS stream and
maybe getting back out onto the air, or bouncing off other digis and
multiplying traffic.

There are a few possibilities for garbled packets other than origination
problems. Often IGate owners will have PASSALL enabled, so their TNCs
will pass packets that don't pass the FCS check. Even with PASSALL off,
sometimes an IGate will have a flaky serial connection and will get
garbled data.

You sometimes have to make concessions for bugs in devices without
updateable firmware, but generally try to stick to the spec.

Scott
N1VG