[aprssig] Fast SSTV for on-air presentations

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Mon May 4 13:20:21 EDT 2020

Mr, APRS,

Have you heard of this one? https://github.com/DL7AD/pecanpico9

> Other than usual position tracker, this tracker has also the ability
> to take pictures with a camera and send them to the ground. The
> tracker can use RTTY/SSDV to transmit those to the ground. While RTTY
> can only be received directly, this tracker can also use APRS/SSDV.
> Therefore SSDV has been integraded into the APRS protocol. This new
> protocol allows the user to receive pcitures by using their APRS
> receiver and a computer. There is no tuning required, so everything
> could work autonomously. APRS has been integrated for the image
> transmission in respect to be used on the global APRS network itself.
> So images can be received from far away using the Igating service.
> Image packets may be received somewhere else by Igates and relayed
> through the internet. The APRS image transmission could be also used
> to make use of 9k6 APRS. 9k6 APRS transmits the images very fast. VGA
> sized pictures can be transmitted within minute. While the protocol
> doesn't change, using this technique doesn't need any changes rather
> than the decoding equipment.

I've been trying to get a round to implementing this protocol into my
APRS clients.

And if the operators have the radio/PC interface to receive SSTV, they
can certainly install DireWolf and an APRS client to receive and decode
APRS.  Or just tap into the APRS-IS, if conditions permit.

Or look into NBEMS which can do file transfers over repeaters at a
reasonable speed.  Our local club had training on this and were using it
to send small files over the repeater at the end of our weekly check-in
nets.  NBEMS is nice because it can be accomplished with acoustical
coupling. Just hold the radio near the PC microphone (or vice versa to
transmit) and boom, file is received (or transmitted).  NBEMS also
includes error correction and all-or-nothing reception indication.  If
using NBEMS, I'd suggest sending one picture per page of the PPT just to
make the retries quicker.

PS.  Here's a sample picture from the PECAN tracker:

Train station

Airport Berlin Tempelhof