[aprssig] APRS-IS: frames bypassing server filter

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Wed Jul 15 12:29:34 EDT 2020

Remember that there is NO INTELLIGENT ROUTING built into the APRS-IS.
Any message addressed to a given station will be delivered to ALL IGates
that have "recently" heard that station.  No such thing as "closest",
nor "most recent", nor any other intelligence.  If an IGate delivered a
packet from a station, that IGate will receive messages from that
station for some period of time (measured in hours, if I'm not mistaken).

As Pete stated, it is up to the IGate software, not the APRS-IS, to make
a decision on whether or not to forward the message to the local RF.