[aprssig] HF APRS igates on JS8

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 00:29:34 EDT 2020

On 4/23/2020 10:36 PM, Joe Bennett wrote:
> OK. Just saw I was digi'ed by WA8LMF... Wonder who that is? :)
>
> I misunderstood your earlier email as I thought that I was to be centered on
> 1400Hz, which would be an offset of 1375Hz. Moved the Offset to 1400Hz and then
> saw you gate me to the APRSIS... Now to figure out why we can't hear the other
> Joe, N3HGB?
>

> -- Joe
> KA3NAM

Wow!  It actually worked.  Guess I've got it configured right!

I did cause some confusion.  I DID originally try to center the waterfall
cursor on 1400 Hz.  This yielded an "offset of 1375; i.e. the lower edge of the
cursor/signal.   I'm used to thinking of the center frequency of these
MFSK-like modes (not one side) since I'm trying to center them in a narrow IF
passband.

Then I realized the apparently the convention on this mode (and what the cursor
points at) is to select the lower edge of the signal. I.e. what the "offset"
selects.  Thus, I moved the lower edge, not the center, of the signal to 1400
Hz.

This actually helps squeeze both the JS8 signal and the normal AX.25 packet
APRS signal through the passband of the Collins mechanical filter in the Yaesu
FT-857.  The AX.25 FSK signal is on the standard audio "KAM tones" of 1600 and
1800 Hz.  The nominally 500 Hz bandwidth of the filter is more like 550 Hz.  I
move the radio's passband tuning upward so the passband spans about 1375-1900
Hz, so it passes both the JS8 tones and the AX.25 tones at the same time.

The narrow passband makes a massive difference compared to the normal SSB
filtet width.  The S5 noise level on SSB drops to NO s-meter reading at all
through the 500 Hz filter. By avoiding having the AGC activated on noise alone,
the effective sensitivity of the receiver is significantly better.

Note that this is effectively a "dual-mode" igate.  Both the UZ7HO Soundmodem
for AX.25 and the JS8Call program for JS8 are using the same sound system on
the PC simultaneously.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating  ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps