[aprssig] re-purposing MFG 1278B?

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 12:41:38 EST 2019

No need to fuss about new ROMs.  I have an MFJ-1278T (I believe it's the
same as the 1278B but with a 2400 baud modem added), and it's working
just fine in KISS mode.  Been doing so for quite a number of years, in
fact.

I never did much else with it in terms of PACTOR, WEFAX, or the other
modes.  I had a homebrew BAYCOM system before acquiring the 1278 at a
club "White Elephant" sale, which I used for contacting various BBS
systems on VHF packet, and used JVFAX for SSTV.  The 1278 came in just
before the turn of the century (love that term), right about the time I
moved to Linux, and with it a whole new set of tools.  I re-purposed an
old HT and brought XASTIR up to get on APRS.  That system transitioned
to APRSIS32 under Wine a few years later, and it's been working ever
since.  The TNC has out-lived the HT and several mobile rigs, in fact.
It's currently driving it's second Kenwood TR-7730.  Besides APRS, the
system moves into service for Winlink for a few months every summer in
support of the Western States 100 and Tevis races.  A lot of fine packet
traffic has moved through that box over the years.

TL;DR:  Just use it!

Greg  KO6TH