[aprssig] re-purposing MFG 1278B?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Dec 10 10:37:44 EST 2019

TAPR never offered ROMs for the 1278. It does sell ROMs for TNC-2 clones, of which the MFJ-1270 was the most prevalent example.

https://www.tapr.org/kits_119.html

The 1278 was the HF/VHF TNC that included grey scale WEFAX and is not a TNC-2 clone. I remember that well because a few decades ago I bought a Kenwood 440 and the MFJ to receive weather back in the dark days before the Internet. Once I had those, it seemed like a waste not to use the transmit side, so I got my ham license. Who knows what wonderful things I might have accomplished with my free time had I not done that ;-)

Steve K4HG