[aprssig] Multi control station situational awareness - (kenwoods)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 11:36:18 EST 2019

On 12/4/2019 10:36 AM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> Bob WB4APR wrote…
>
>> By the way, the D700 TNC is a REALLY mediocre-performing device as well.
>
> How does the D710 compare to the D700? Does it do any better at decoding than
> the older model?
>
> --
> 73 Keith VE7GDH

I simply don't know.  I've never had a D710 or played with one.

I continue to use my D700 because it makes a much tidier installation in my car
than the '710 would.   All the connections are to the main radio chassis under
the seat; not to the head.  On the D710, everything sprouts out of the control
head (mic, ext GPS, ext serial data, etc) that makes for a much messier
install.   Not to mention those stupid Macintosh 8-pin mini-DIN serial cables.
    [Why is it that Kenwood doesn't seem to be able to accept the otherwise
nearly universal convention for serial connectors that DCE devices should be a
female DB-9 socket,  so a standard male-to-female DB-9 "extension cable" can
connect the radio to a normal PC serial port -- i.e. without gender changers or
null modems?]

Further the '710 head is wider and won't fit into the console space in my Jetta
TDI where my 700 is located, especially with all those cables sticking out.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps