[aprssig] GPS & Display Ideas

KB5ILY - Travis W. Burton kb5ily at arrl.net
Tue Aug 20 11:09:49 EDT 2019

At our monthly Amateur exam session this past Saturday nobody showed up to
test, so that left the 4 VEs to find something else to do for a while, have
a discussion of things.   One of the subjects that came up was APRS, and
it ended up going this way...

2 Kenwoods, a Yaesu and my Alinco; all have built-in TNCs so there is a
data port for GPS input on all.  Can we do any or all of the following;
A.  Use retired cell phone as GPS.
B. Use an Amazon Kindle, Apple iPad or other such tablet (with or without
internet access, but *not* accessing APRS-IS) as station map display?

Any direction on either item is appreciated.

73 de Travis KB5ILY / PG00041468
870-260-6068 (Phone)
--
     Travis W. Burton, NP, ESQ., KB5ILY (QCWA) & GROL / Arkadelphia AR
                 President, DeGray Amateur Radio club, Inc.
                       Internet: mailto:kb5ily at arrl.net
          http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/9877/web/?rl=rr
                          WWW:  http://www.kb5ily.org
                    GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA
Only he who Attempts the Ridiculous can Achieve the Impossible. (WILL HENRY)
                    Linux is my operating system of choice.

                    Computers are like Air Conditioners,
              they stop working correctly when you open windows.