[aprssig] Another 60 Meters APRS Test This Week: Tuesday 26 June - Thursday28 June

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 10:29:20 EDT 2018

On 6/25/2018 5:31 AM, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> On 06/25/2018 08:13 AM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>
>> After the screwup last weekend due to a flakey driver for the uBlox GPS I was
>> using (which caused me to appear to have never left home), I am trying 60
>> meters
>> APRS again this week.
>>

> Regarding uBlox chip -based GPS devices: I was recently done some APRS tests
> in Rabat, Morocco, and I had a Taiwanese G-mouse having an uBlox chip. But
> something caused me to appear on the map some 1500-2000 km to the east
> (somewhere near Algerian-Tunisian border). Any idea what might have happened?
> And when I returned back to Europe, everything was fine again with reporting
> my locations. (The same hardware & software used. The software is dxlAPRS by
> Chris OE5DXL.)
>
> Misko YT7MPB

Were you seeing the error on your own computer & display,   or was it on APRS
displays on the Internet?

In Rabat, you would have been west of 00 00.000 longitude, while most of Europe
is EAST of the prime meridian (i.e. positive longitude).    In the past, I have
observed some mis-configured igates running buggy software in southern Portugal
and Spain passing trash into the APRS Internet System,  when mobiles would go
west of 00 00.00 longitude.  (Apparently had problems with negative values of
longitude.)

In my case, the u-Blox driver problem was quite different.   After running
constantly for  a day or so, the GPS suddenly reverted to reporting  my start
location (where the device had been powered-up) instead of my current
location.   The driver did NOT lock up or crash -- it just started reporting my
initial home location instead of the current one.   The applications using the
data kept accepting the position as valid.  There were no "Invalid Position",
"No GPS Fix",  or"Los of GPS Data" -type error messages.

Normally, I would have noticed something was wrong by seeing my own position in
the wrong place on a map display.   But in this case (experiments on 60
meters), I was running running APRS Messenger blind as a transmit-only tracker
without a mapping display in the car.   As a result, I did not discover the
problem until a day later when I started checking my home display and APRS
mapping sites like APRS.fi .

Tomorrow, I WILL be running a mapping display in the car, so I can spot such an
error and reboot the system, if needed.