[aprssig] Data fm radio

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Sep 7 16:23:32 EDT 2017

On 9/7/2017 3:18 PM, Bill Vodall wrote:
> Andrew has a highly relevant question here and it's time to build a
> table.   This is primarily for the Northwest Digital UDR-C soundcard
> modem but will perhaps work for other off the shelf devices - at least
> with a basic conversion cable from whatever to the standard 6-pin mini
> din.
>
> Please check the table at the bottom of this post and forward to me
> any updates or additional info.  It would be nice to have a "click
> here and order this" solution for a packet data radio.   Lots to be
> added but at least this is a start.

Two more candidates:

Yaesu FT-1500  -  Ultra-compact 50-watt 2M monobander with 6-pin miniDIN port.
Discontinued, but turns up frequently at swap meets. Radio is packaged in a
cast-aluminum clamshell, barely an inch thick, that doubles as heat sink.
Unique mounting method:  Instead of the usual trunion mobile-mount bracket, two
#8 bolts extend through the clamshell from top to bottom. Makes it really easy
to mount the radio to the inside wall of an ammo box with no wasted space, for
portable ammo-box trackers and digipeaters.    This is an excellent platform
for all kinds of APRS applications. Grab any and all you see at swapmeets and
ham fests!

Yaesu FT-8900  -   FM quadbander for 10, 6, 2 and 70cm.  Has dual receivers
capable of cross-band digipeat between any of these bands. I've actually used
it, in my car, to digipeat 144.39 to UHF for radio club demos at meetings deep
inside buildings.  It has the 6-pin mini-DIN port with the cleanest discr
output I've seen in a ham (not commercial land mobile) rig. The accuracy of the
300-3000 Hz de-emphasis curve on the "1200-baud" pin of the miniDIN is also
among the best I've seen ever.     Note that the TYT-9800 (Chinese
identical-looking knockoff of this radio for $100 less) lacks the all-important
data port!

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF