[aprssig] iPhone APRS app?

Amir Findling sarlabs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 14:05:56 EDT 2017

Have a good look at the Maprika app,  both for iOS and Android.  It is not
APRS, but I  believe worth a consideration.

You can easily grab your even map,  georeference it (relatively easy)  and
then make that map accessible to all.  Now everybody has the same event
map,  with their own GPS location on it.  That location can be shared among
friends,  thus net control and all others invited in can see the positions.

Should a mishap happen between checkpoints,  the crew can drive to the
location and now command has the exact location of the mishap,  and that
may often be a question whose answer that is difficult to obtain from the
field.

I would not try to get that ready for an event this weekend,  but perhaps
give it a try between just a couple of stations to assess its usefulness to
you.

The learning curve is acceptable IMO.

I  have not yet tried it in any of the events I planned this year,  but may
very well do it in the coming year,  with a bit of training for our public
service hams.

It is network dependent,  uses data sparingly (if you download the maps
ahead of time).  It will not work in our Ironman 70.3 event,  as we are
truly in the boonies. It is just another tool in the toolbox.
--

73 de Amir K9CHP

ARRL, Emergency Coordinator, Onondaga County, NY
Liverpool Amateur Repeater Club www.W2CM.com
Radio Amateurs of Greater Syracuse  www.ragsclub.org
Wilderness SAR www.wsar.org (ret.)
Eagle Valley Search Dogs www.evdogs.org (ret.)