[aprssig] brief intro VE8RT

Ron VE8RT VE8RT at yknwt.ca
Mon Oct 9 16:59:46 EDT 2017

Here is my brief introduction, and reason for wanting to join the group now.

I'm Ron VE8RT and VE8TEA for the WSPR and other experimenting work.  Resident of DP22tk, Yellowknife, NT, Canada, since January 2006, I've been licenced since June 1970.

QRP HF has been where I've spent most of my time, although I did operate satellites (from FP) years ago, and did a little SSB meteor scatter.

For a few years now I've been looking at how emergency communications could be managed in my present location.  An area the size of a country with a handful of amateurs, inside the auroral oval, and generally poor HF communications.  When solar activity degraded HF communications for the hurricane watch net, this far north it was much worse.

I'm looking into VHF and up possibilities.  The first option would be LEO satellites.  The other may be 6 metre APRS+ for short messages, but I haven't set up for it yet, and I don't know if there are any stations within range of DP22.

Recently I've asked a group of VHF and up operators from New England to provide guidance and direction to wisely use my amateur radio budget and to help me reduce impulse spending on side track projects.  I've asked to join this group hoping to learn more about APRS and test messaging over longer distances on VHF.

  Ron VE8RT

--
Ron VE8RT <VE8RT at yknwt.ca>