[aprssig] New Project: WHERE-IS

K4FHK k4fhk at knobbe.us
Sun Mar 12 18:41:12 EDT 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 09:07 -0500, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
> Since WHO-IS and WHO-15 have the same response, why not use WHERE-IS
> and WHERE-15?

The service has been changed today to use WHERE as the primary call
sign. I say primary since it will also accept messages on WHERE-IS,
WHERE-15, and still K4FHK-WI. It should also respond on these, but
there might be issues with proper ack'ing of messages. The ability to
send commands to multiple callsigns is really only for migration
purposes from K4FHK-WI to WHERE. Please use WHERE going forward.

I also added a feature that was requested via email. William inquired
about wildcard support for multiple SSID's. That has now been added.
All commands will respond, and work on, ALL SSID's of a given station
using "CALL-*". Note that this will also apply to position alerts.
However, for multiple alerts to be setup, the given SSID's will have to
have beaconed their position at some time in the past. It is currently
not possible to set an alert for a previously unused SSID through the
wildcards. An alert on an explicit SSID, even one that has not ever
sent a position report, can be set using the explicit SSID.

Note that each result to wildcard queries will be handled with
individual APRS messages. So if someone has 15 active SSID's and you
query "where CALL-*", you will get 15 individual messages back.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues or if you have further
feedback.

Thanks!
Frank