[aprssig] ​Remote weather stations

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 01:20:28 EST 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Mark Conner <mconner1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I can do that with the TNC-Pi and aprx, but haven't looked that
> hard on how to do it yet.

Yep. RF-gating a specific near-by weather station which happens to be
Internet-only is common. All you need to do is configure your APRS-IS login
to include a b filter to include the desired weather station's callsign in
your APRS-IS feed, then include the same filter again down in the APRS-IS
source block of your digipeater config to drive its packets to RF.

As for the overall objective of RF-gating weather stations, as long as
you're only doing it for the nearest weather station and not something like
every weather station in the county, it's a very reasonable objective to
put useful information on your local RF LAN.

From: spam8mybrain <spam8mybrain at yahoo.com>
> However, it did bring up another related question: can weather be reported
> as APRS Objects rather than as station position reports? This would make
> sense if the weather sensors were not co-located with the radio station,
> but were a distance away sufficiently large that assuming co-location would
> introduce noticeable error.

I wouldn't work that hard at it. Callsign-SSIDs are cheap, so if the
weather telemetry is coming from sensors not close enough to your APRS node
to beacon the weather info directly, make a new virtual callsign-SSID with
the correct location and maybe gate it third-party to RF.

If the sensors are so far from your APRS node that the readings aren't
representative of where your APRS node is, it might not be of value to
RF-gate them locally anyways.

--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/