[aprssig] Smart TX igate message routing?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Mar 6 18:27:19 EST 2017

There have been periodic discussions about "smart" or "reverse path"
routing for messages, but it all come down to the fact that just because
your IGate heard a packet via a given path doesn't mean that the reverse
of that path will get back to the station.  You are better off relying
on the digipeater infrastructure to deliver packets than to try to
thread a packet's way back through a specific digipeater path,
especially when you consider congestion and packet collisions.

Also, just because the most recent packet you received from a station
came from a certain set of digipeaters does not mean that the station is
actually still in that same path some time later when a message may be
addressed to him/her.