[aprssig] D-Star Repeater (double) Objects

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Jul 28 16:14:01 EDT 2017

Ok, so can you explain the reasoning behind the following two *packets*
carrying the same redundant information?

2017-07-28 15:55:57 EDT: AI4YK-S>APDG01,TCPIP*,qAC,AI4YK-GS:;AI4YK  B *281955z2800.40ND08040.93WaRNG0000 440 Voice 438.02500MHz +0.0000MHz

2017-07-27 22:15:47 EDT: AI4YK-B>APDG02,TCPIP*,qAC,AI4YK-BS:!2800.40ND08040.93W&RNG0000 440 Voice 438.02500MHz +0.0000MHz

I understand that one is an "IGate Station" and the other is a "Repeater
Object", but if they're going to carry the same information, why inject
both?  Or is this an operator mis-configuration that is amazingly
prevalent in the D-Star/APRS arena?

PS.  Notice that I didn't ask about the difference between AI4YK-GS and
AI4YK-BS although if you can enlighten me on that I'd appreciate it as well.