[aprssig] APRS Frequency QSY on DATA band

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 26 11:30:15 EST 2017

> How can the frequency objects be used for the data side of the radio...
> Such as when the object announces a local UHF APRS channel?

On the Kenwood while displaying the desired object:

1) Press band select button (volume control)
2) Press TUNE (assuming the data band is in VFO)

Note, if the UHF APRS frequency object also is a shift to 9600 baud, then
this will require an entirely new TNC setting and can only be done in  a
PM....?

But again, the possible factor of two improvement by doing APRS data at 9600
baud is not worth this additional hassle maybe.

Bob, WB4APR

--

> So put an local Object beacon on 144.39 DIRECT at the UHF sites
> indicating the local UHF frequency using the "frequency format".  Then
> ONE BUTTON on the Kenwoods and Yaesu's will instantly QSY for the local
> UHF channel.

Is there a way to get it to QSY on the "data" band (where the TNC is
configured)? As far as I can tell, the QSY function always targets the
non-data band, which is opposite of what you want to advertise an APRS
channel like you describe.

Tom KD7LXL