[aprssig] Golden Packet Event 15 July 2017 (out west too?)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jan 24 13:45:13 EST 2017

On 1/24/2017 12:50 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> CONVERSLY BACK EAST we have never found any east-coast OT scout operations.
> Maybe the les reliable sun and the tree covered mountains make long distance
> optical comms too difficult.  But if the HAMS on the Golden Packet carried
> along a bright car headlamp, I bet we could send flashing light to scouts out
> to 50 mile east coast ranges.
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

Forget about car headlamps and clumsy exteernal batteries!   One of these
high-power LED flashlights would do the job.  This heavy-duty
aluminum-and-rubber-barreled device runs on 3 "C" batteries, and has a
push-pull zoom head with an actual curved lens in it. (i.e. not just moving the
reflector as many zoomable flashlights do.)  It can zoom the 700 lumen LED beam
from a very broad (approx 90-degrees) diffuse spread down to a spot beam of
less than 10 degrees.

Pack of two of these Duracell flashlights (including 6 C-size Duracells!) is
$16 at Costco.

[Not sure if the inserted image below will make it through the TAPR remailer]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  _______ Windows 10 Outrages! _______
    <http://WA8LMF.net/Windows10_Info>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps