[aprssig] Documenting the APRS Generic Digipeating spec?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 13:34:21 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> The only problem I see with the No-Source-Rouiting (NSR) idea is that it
> requires constant management at every digipeater (node) with lists of
> allowed calls and routes.  The problem I see here (if I understand it
> correctly) are:
>
> 1)      Nothing in Ham radio survices that requires this level of daily
> management

Nonsense!  Worst case it requires configuration changes when there is a
digipeater infrastructure change - once a decade in your example.

> 2)      How do mobiles and portables and special events work.

Just like every other edge device on every other network in common use
today, like the billions of computers and mobile devices - they hand the
packet to the network infrastructure, they don't try to tell the network
how to do its job, and the network does its job.

3)      It makes operations completely vulnerable to potential draconian
> sysops and fiefdoms…

which is different from the current situation how?  this is useless FUD and
irrelevant to the technical discussion.

> 4)      It removes the experimention by the end user from amateur radio

It removes the _confusion_ and turns the network into a network which in
turn _enables_ operation and experimentation for projects that require a
reliable network.

-Jason
kg4wsv