[aprssig] Documenting the APRS Generic Digipeating spec?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 6 13:08:05 EST 2017

The only problem I see with the No-Source-Rouiting (NSR) idea is that it
requires constant management at every digipeater (node) with lists of
allowed calls and routes.  The problem I see here (if I understand it
correctly) are:

1)      Nothing in Ham radio survices that requires this level of daily
management  (some digis have not been touched in a decade).

2)      How do mobiles and portables and special events work.  I guess the
answer is that they will always get one hop anywhere anytime.  And then the
network has to be adjusted and configured if there is any need beyond
that…  (this is workable for big special events… but also is vulnerable to
a lot of wpecial work for smaller events? (see #1)

3)      It makes operations completely vulnerable to potential draconian
sysops and fiefdoms…

4)      It removes the experimention by the end user from amateur radio

Just some initial thoughts.  But it will be included in any attempt we make
at documenting AX.25-UI

Bob, WB4APR