[aprssig] APRS Digipeater on the ISS on UHF

Joseph M. Durnal joseph.durnal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:55:55 EST 2017

I've been trying to find my way back to the radio for a while.
Disappointments with the HOA and vandals to the automobile antennas have
really taken the fun out of it.  One of these years, I will move, but until
then, getting on the radio takes effort.

I've always enjoyed APRS and I saw a post on the recent change to the ISS
digipeater to UHF and it sparked an interest.  Being off of work for
several days, I had time to find the Arrow II antenna and charge up the
TH-D72.

I set up the memories in the radio as follows:

Ch - RX - Tx
1 - 437.560 - 437.540
2 - 437.555 - 437.545
3 - 437.550 - 437.550
4 - 437.545 - 437.555
5 - 437.540 - 437.560

set my path to ARISS
pre-set  few message texts

I even found the time to work a couple of PSAT passes that were well timed
with the ISS.  The VHF side of my Arrow II is missing an element

APRS messaging via satellite is somehow satisfying, and just, to me at
least, a lot less stressful than voice on the FM.

It seems that many of my packets didn't make it to the IS.  I would think
that sat gating on the UHF is a little tougher than on VHF, I suppose it
would take some time to get new gates up.  I thank those who do for the
effort though.

I hope to be on the air a little more and trying to get my sons to show a
little interest as well.  My 11 year old seemed a little excited until it
came to standing out in the cold rain, then, he lost interest.  There may
be hope for him when the weather gets a little better.

73 de Joe NE3R