[aprssig] ISS APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 02:18:29 EST 2017

On 1/2/2017 9:18 PM, Nagi Punyamurthula wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have had a very successful run at igating the ISS (ARISS/RS0ISS) digipeated
> packets. And likewise had good success w/ having the ISS receive and digipeat
> my beacons.  This was all good up until a couple months back (early Oct/Nov if
> I recall correctly).
>

> Starting last month, my “via ARISS” packets never get digipeated by
> ARISS/RS0ISS alias during ISS pass throughs. The path in my packets has not
> changed for over 2 years.  I follow the pass-through patterns quite regularly
> and even w/ my tracking tool STPO. No changes here since its inception from my end.
>

> Anything change recently w/ what’s needed in the APRS packets when sending for
> ARISS digipeating ?

YES!   The ISS digipeater is temporarily on UHF (437.550 MHz) due to the
failure of the VHF radio normally used.  This change will remain until new D710
transceivers are sent to the station in fall of 2017.

Note that receiving on UHF is a bit trickier since the doppler shift is three
times greater than on UHF.  You will have to tune the radio from +5 KHz from
frequency during approach to -5KHz as it recedes to the opposite horizon.
Unless, of course, you have a really wideband IF in the receiver.

[I use a Bearcat 760 scanner which has a really broad IF]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  _______ Windows 10 Outrages! _______
    <http://WA8LMF.net/Windows10_Info>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps