[aprssig] IGate FIlter for AMSATS?

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:16:46 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <
ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> Actually, I think the discussion was to implement an IGate mode whereby it
> would never gate a directly received packet, one with no used path
> components.

And my counter arguments were:
1. This excludes packets originating from the satellites, which are
probably pretty interesting.
2. Whitelists as deployed on I-gates for satellites would always lag behind
the current constellation, and it's likely packets from satellites during
their first few days of bring-up would be the most critical to capture.
3. Anyone actually trying to use 145.825MHz to do something useful instead
of just a vanity exercise in bouncing a packet off a satellite would rather
have their packets I-gated directly instead of *maybe* getting digipeated
through a satellite but likely lost.

Viscous I-gate has its own problems, but it's a preferable solution to just
dropping any packets heard direct.

I thought the sat guys were going to go set up their own APRS-IS network or
something.
--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/